Tuesday 13 March 2012

The Bath Half: Sport is for amateurs too!

As we all know, sport is not just played amongst the elite athletes in the world. Part of the joy it provides is its capability to allow anyone to have a go. Some sports also allow for professionals and the amateurs to mix together, and this weekend was one of those, as I lined up as an amateur for the 2012 Bath Half Marathon. I was at the back of the 12,000 runners, of which the winner was Edwin Kiptoo, a Kenyan who achieved a course record in running the 13.1 miles in 62 minutes and 1 second - an unbelievable feat. If you have ever run a half marathon you will understand what a staggering achievement this is!

On a glorious sun-soaked day, people who were running for a variety of reasons, (primarily charitable), pounded the two-lap, relatively flat course after the gun went off at 11am. Roared on by crowds that lined both sides of the street throughout the majority of the course, the atmosphere truly was special. Celebrity figures in the form of Dermot O’Leary, Nell McAndrew and Nadia Sawalha were also venturing around the course. I did beat Dermot, and even overtook him, but failed to see me doing so! Celeb spotting failure!

If I was to talk about my own personal experience of the day, I guess the first thing I would talk about is the crowd, as without them I think my time could have been significantly worse. They certainly helped me to block out the pain that built in my legs. Constantly throughout I heard cried of “Go on JT”, not just from friends who had come out to watch but also complete strangers who were keen to push me along. Never did I think having my name on my t-shirt would generate that much support. As a means of thanks I did strive to either wave, give a thumbs up or smile at the supporter, or even overtake the next person in front of me (though this concept began to fail towards the end!). I really did appreciate it all, although having my mother clapping and cheering right in my face with less than a mile to go was one thing that I could have done without – certainly didn’t miss her then! The Macmillan team on the bridge were fantastic as well. They certainly provided a boost in morale as I commenced my second lap. Along with the crowd’s cheers, there were many musical delights, with people bringing out stereos, including Heart FM, to which motivational tracks were always on the go. They were accompanied with a few bands lining the streets, including a cracking steel drum team. It was all part of the fabulous atmosphere and I am certainly glad that I decided to run without musical aid. It isn’t needed and if you are plugged in, I imagine you miss out on a lot of other things going on around you.

Other than the crowd, those other runners that I shared the experience with were obviously vital too. Everyone helps one another long, as it is not a race in that everybody is aiming for the same goal. Every individual has their own targets and aims that they want to achieve. Some were dressed just like me, as a runner. Others took it to greater extremes. I saw boobs, I saw clowns, I saw ballerinas, I saw Spongebob. All of which were in the name of charity. How anyone can run around with a mask of any description though is beyond me. It must be stifling, especially when the temperatures rose as much as they did – kudos to all of them! Liquids were taken on board at every check point, although even they proved dangerous! On my first lap, I saw somebody launch their bottle over the crowd of runners, but in doing so, took their eyes off the road and ended up going straight into a traffic cone! They fell, but rolled out of it very well, and despite concerns from other runners, the man battled on valiantly.

When I crossed the line, firstly I felt such a joy in completing the task. Secondly, I was ecstatic that I ticked off my aims. Then I felt the serious jelly feeling in my legs. Wow, oh wow. I am certain they never felt that bad after any of my training runs. However, as we were ushered out of the way, there was little opportunity to try and ease the run down to allow the muscles to cope. Instead it was solely fluids and stretching that were used to try and return the body to normality. After then picking up my medal I headed straight for the Team Macmillan tent where I was provided with a massage. How beneficial that was. Thank you to my masseur, who basically ensured my calves and hamstrings were in a respectable state by the next day. They were concerned for my tight quadriceps though, and still, nearly 48 hours after the event they are still sore and limiting movement! So if anyone fancies helping me out, I would appreciate it! My right knee also took some punishment whilst running, so I have to currently ease myself around to try and prevent further damage.

So how did I do? Well as I just mentioned, I achieved my two goals. The first was to run the whole route, the second to run a sub 1:40 time. I did the course in 1:37:38, so I was thoroughly happy. However, I believe if I was in the starting pack ahead of me, a 1:35 time may have been reachable. This is because for the first three miles I spent trying to get up to the pace I desired and weaving in and out of others so there was a space for me to pick my pace up. This resulted in me using the pavement and going around the crowd at times! But I am not going to let a minor thing like that detract from my wonderful experience of the day. If you have ever had any inclination in being involved in such an event, I really would recommend it and urge you to do so. The sense of satisfaction you’ll have at the end makes it all worthwhile. Meanwhile, I have raised over £700 for Macmillan Cancer Support, so it is great to know my efforts are benefiting others as well. I can’t thank those sponsors enough. If you do wish to contribute, my online page is still accessible: www.justgiving.com/jtrunsbathhalf

No comments:

Post a Comment