Monday 16 April 2012

A day at the races doesn't always have a happy ending...

After a week’s sabbatical because of the Easter break, I am back and ready to talk sport once again. On Saturday, the country’s bookmakers were flooded for people’s annual pilgrimage to make their bet on the Grand National. The steeplechase is still seen as the world’s biggest horse-race and the crowds continue to flock to Aintree to personally experience the atmosphere that the day provides. In the build up to the race, I heard a comment from one broadcaster that every horse in the race probably had a fairytale story attached to it. Those ones getting the greatest coverage were the two that ended up as joint-favourites, Synchronised going for a Cheltenham Gold Cup and National double, and Seabass with Katie Walsh looking to be the first female jockey to win the prestigious race. It is for reasons like this that the country is enchanted by the race year on year.

I was one of those who is always engrossed and engaged by the day, and it is on my ‘to do’ list to go and experience the event one year. However, yesterday was not that day and so I instead subjected myself to different media formats in the lead up to the race to help try and determine who I would bet upon once entering the bookies. I would never describe myself as an expert on the horses, but I have seemingly done well in my previous gambling exploits on them. However, as I was to later discover, my instinct was not so hot this year!

Unfortunately, the race again will be overshadowed by the news that emerged post-race. A shame when it was such an exciting race, with one of the closest finishes I can remember. However, after two deaths last year leading to changes made on the course to try and make it safer, once again two magnificent horses were immobilised after receiving fatal injuries after falling during the chase. According to Pete and Synchronised were treated on the course but medical teams could not recuperate them. It is a particular sad end for Synchronised, who was considered a strong contender for becoming only the second ever horse to complete the Gold Cup and National double in the same season. Yet things looked concerning pre-race when the horse managed to unseat jockey AP McCoy on route to the start line. After a quick medical check-up both horse and jockey were declared fit to compete, but it only took six fences until the disaster struck. Concern is therefore held upon whether Synchronised was fit enough to be involved in the race at all. It was already going to require a monumental effort to have been able to recover from its exploits in Cheltenham in time, and the scenario that played out suggested that the stallion had failed to do so.

Neptune Collonges will be noted in the history books though as the 2012 victor. He started the day around 50-1 but had some fans amongst those pundits who follow the sport avidly, support that must have descended upon the public as he entered the race at 33-1, still a long way back from a genuine favourites or contenders in the eyes of many though. However, the grey defied the odds and as he cleared the final fence and started chasing down those at the front, eventually overhauling Sunnyhillboy by what could only be best described as a nostril on the line. Seabass came in third, giving Miss Walsh the highest ever placing of a female jockey in the race, ahead of Cappa Bleu, who completed the top four. Having said this only 15 of the 40 horses completed the 4 mile, 4 furlong course.

Both Sunnyhillboy and Cappa Bleu were two horses I considered putting bets on, but in the end I was enchanted by a potential back-to-back win by Ballabriggs, who came in 6th, but had received a quiet build-up on race day. I also backed Shakalakaboomboom, who gained widespread support, although arguably based on his absolutely cracking name, whom despite being at the front and leading at one time, fell away on the run to home and trailed in 9th. That will teach me to not follow the crowd! My final each-way punt was a toss up between Sunnyhillboy and Killyglen, naturally I chose the wrong one, with the latter falling on the first lap of the circuit. I also made use of a free bet I was provided, and thought I may as well go for a horse to win. Being the lover of a dream, unique event and some romanticism I plucked for Seabass, although it unfortunately could never quite haul itself over that line first. When I look back on my selections I ended up with three of the four favourites, thus, demonstrating how much of a lottery the race is by the respective positions all the ‘favourites’ came in at. It is a real test of the horses’ capabilities to get around the course successfully, requiring determination, guts, and probably some slices of luck! 

But now, the discussion amongst horse racing enthusiasts is regarding the future that the National holds in this country, with some even seriously contemplating that its days could be numbered such is the concern over animal welfare based upon the number of horse fatalities in recent years (20 since 2001). Personally, I believe all forms of steeplechase hold their own dangers and as winning trainer, Paul Nicholls, has said, it is impossible to make the Grand National race risk free. However, part of the thrill and excitement held over the race is the challenges it offers, which are different to any other race-course. I understand that changes need to be made to try and improve the safety aspects for the horses, but if drastic measures are taken I can see punters losing confidence and interest in the event because it lacks the grand allure it currently holds. Once this has gone, then the race will dwindle as a spectacle, and eventually be pulled I imagine, unless of course, that is the action that is taken, a thought BBC correspondent, Cornelius Lysaght, has envisaged happening. It will be a sad day if that did occur, as Britain and the world, would be losing one of the most complete sporting tests out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment